Saturday 22 September 2012

Putting a twist on it.

Check out the giant wooden spoon I picked up this summer in China town when we visited my sister.

A few days ago I was making some soup for dinner.  Vegetable soup, with cheese tortellini on the side that we could each add in or leave out as we chose.  N walked in while I was making it and said "the onion soup smells delicious".  He was disappointed when I told him it wasn't actually onion soup, at which point he asked if we could still put bread and cheese on it and bake it in the oven.

Why not!  We often put a twist into our favourite recipes to make them our own...so why, indeed, had I never thought to make any other soup, french onion style?
So, the vegetable soup got ladled into bowls (3 of them with a handful of cheese tortellini in the bottom) and then covered with croutons (it's what I had on hand) and cheese and put into a hot oven to bake.

The soup was just chopped vegetables that I had in the fridge (onions, celery, carrots), some corn I had cut off a cob and put in the freezer, and the broth was cooked over a campfire this past summer.  Throw in some dried thyme and sage from the garden, a couple of bay leaves, a few drops of tabasco, some white wine, and it is actually very similar to onion soup.

Served with nice warm biscuits.  I am pretty sure these were my first ever really successful biscuits.  And yes, I am fully aware of the double starch, but sometimes, you just have to roll with it....and I was rewarded with the ever elusive "This dinner is delicious" from one of the minions.  How sweet it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment