Monday 3 September 2012

A return of cool evenings

The return of cool evenings just before school starts always makes me think of one thing...
...the return of home baking.  Oh, baked goods, how I have missed you!  I usually try to have a good variety of baked goods ready for when school starts so that I don't have to be concerned about it in the first week or two.  This year, however, my freezer is still so full of produce that I am only going to be able to make a few things to freeze until the produce gets used up.

First up, Coconut Lime Muffins.  Oh, let me tell you!  These are fantastic.  They are based on a recipe from Company's Coming: Mostly muffins.  I have mentioned this recipe book before, I know, but it is such a great book.  It's my go to for baked goods.

I changed it up a bit, for what I had on hand.  Here's what I did this time:

Combine 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup unsweetened coconut, 4 tsp. baking powder.
Cream 1/3 cup butter with 3/4 cup sugar.  Add 1 large egg and 2 tbsp lime zest.
1 cup coconut milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternating with the coconut milk (dry, milk, dry, milk, dry).
Scoop into 12 muffin cups.
Sprinkle with a little more shredded coconut.
Bake at 375F for 18 minutes.
While they are baking, bring to boil 1/2 cup sugar with 1/4 cup lime juice and 3 tbsp water.  Heat and stir for 2 minutes until it starts to thicken.  When the muffins come out, spoon a little of the glazing liquid over each muffin.  Let stand for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack.

Oh, yeah!

Another great recipe in the book...
Cinnamon swirl tea biscuits.  Made with yogourt.  I'm telling you, this book is worth it.  I have had it for a good while now, and everything I have tried has been absolutely fantastic.  In fact, I was just looking at my bookshelf, and other than her other book "muffins and more" I have actually gotten rid of all my other recipe books that were strictly baking.  I have the odd recipe here and there, but mostly I use these.

Do you have a cookbook to recommend?  Don't be shy.

Happy baking my friends.
I'll be sharing this over on Homestead Revival's barn hop

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm. Those photos made me hungry! I have to say my cookbooks for baked goods are pretty basic. Usually just Betty Crocker. I do like the biscuits in my Amish cookbook though. Just had some tonight with baked chicken and gravy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete