Wednesday 30 January 2013

Learning new skills

I have been working on learning some new skills in the knitting department.
 I decided to give toe up socks a try.  In yesterday's post, I remarked that sometimes I feel like I work and work and work at something and get nowhere. This sock is the perfect example. Over the course of a couple of days, it seriously took me over 4 hours to figure out how to turn the heel on this sock.  I read the instructions in the pattern, I read the  description in the front of the book, I googled, and searched, and knit and frogged and knit and frogged until finally I figured it out.  Sort of.  It is all messy, and twisted because I was really struggling with it.
 This is the sock that was supposed to be in the Terpander pattern from this book that I started a few weeks ago, but the yarn really did not lend itself to the cable pattern.  So instead, I thought I would try some colour work.  Some proper colour work - fair isle style, also a new skill for me to learn.
 Turns out that I love colour work.  Like most other new knitting skill I am learning, I don't know why I waited so long!  Oh, I almost forgot - the colour work charts I used were bits and pieces from the patterns in
this book over here.
However, the sock doesn't fit.  The foot part is too long and the leg part is too tight...so all those hours of work - being frogged today!  I will try toe up socks again, but not yet...I will do colour work again - oh yes I will.  Again and again and again.

On the bookshelf - Middlemarch of course.

In the home:  The kids were taking turns being ill.  I think it has finally left the house.  I really really hope it has.  This nasty bug sure is making the rounds.  Turns out that on a daily basis, 10 to 25% of the kids in school are  out sick.  Yikes.

Linking up with: yarn along at small things

2 comments:

  1. Wow, socks frighten me...to knit, that is. I've tried several times unsuccessfully. Yours look just perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. natalie they are lovely! well done!

    ReplyDelete