Wednesday 8 August 2012

What's growing.

 Large volunteer sunflowers.
 Did I mention they are big?  The bottom leaf in the picture is at my eye level.  These things must be at least 12 feet tall.  They are taller than the garage.
 We had a huge downpour last week following weeks and weeks of no rain.  It tipped all my tomato cages over and try as I might, I couldn't get them back up again.  So for the rest of the summer, I will be picking tomatoes that have sprawled all over the ground.  They have covered just about every path, so I have had to step on the tomato plants themselves in order to get through.
 Three days ago, I got my first red tomato...
 Yesterday, I did find one melon growing after all.  It was buried under one of the tipped over tomato plants.  I can't begin to tell you how excited I am.  It had better make it to our table.
 One of these things is not like the others!
Yesterday.  5 pounds.  This will be happening daily for the foreseeable future.
I am still canning daily, now I will switch from pickles to tomatoes.

1 comment:

  1. All of our tomatoes fell over too. I've been meaning to build a better climbing structure, but I just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete