Friday 6 July 2012

Full Disclosure

I have a problem...with sugar.  I try to eat healthy food most of the time, and I really try to feed my kids healthy food most of the time, but sometimes I fall off the wagon.  Last night, for my before bed snack, I ate a huge kaiser bun (white flour) with some of that "fake me out Nutella that is made with white chocolate and hazelnut spread swirled together", with corn chips on the side, followed by two large juice berry candies.

How's that for full disclosure now?  Healthy, no?

 I am also a bit scatter brained in the garden...I will be completely honest today.  I don't label things because I always think I will remember what I planted.  After all, I don't have a farm, just my back yard.  However, sometimes I forget what went into that little space where I just pulled out the "----fill in the blank of whatever is just finished---".  Can anyone tell me what this is up in the photo?  Romaine Lettuce? I think it has to be either lettuce or Swiss Chard (and as I have only planted chard once, I am not sure I could recognize it).  I am eliminating spinach because I think spinach leaves are darker and pointier.  Anyone want to hazard a guess?


AND...last night, after dinner, I sat down to read "for a bit".  I didn't wash the dinner dishes.  I didn't clean the bathroom.  I didn't work on any of the bazillion unfinished projects I have laying around.  When S asked me to play "Spy Alley" with them, I said "Nope, I'm reading" (even though I told myself I would spend more "fun time" with the boys this summer) and I stayed on the sofa for 3 hours to finish my book!

In case you are wondering, it was The boy who loved Anne Frank.  It was fantastic!  I kept having to remind myself that it was fiction.  It is the story of what Peter's life might have been like had he survived.  I would highly recommend it to any adult.  Teens probably should read it but really I think it is for adults.  It is intense, as it should be.  I think there should be more books written from the point of view of survivors (I'm talking about civilians here) and their everyday life during and after the war.  The real struggles, not shmoosy love stories---you know, so as not to romanticize the horrors they went through.  I have read a few books about children who survived World War II and the recurring theme always seems to be starvation.  In the relative luxury we live in, I can't even imagine what near starvation must be like.  In fact, every time the boys tell me they are starving, I always, ALWAYS, say "you are hungry, you are NOT starving".  I do tend to shelter them to some extent, but they do need to know that there are (and have been) people who actually are starving, and not everybody has it quite so easy as they do. 

A hodge podge of thoughts there, but there you have it.

1 comment: