Monday 16 March 2015

Playing with scale

I have heard recently that in order to keep your creative juices flowing you should pick something that you make on a regular basis, and try it on a different scale.
It sounded like an interesting challenge...

I have made, and sold, many of these tube vases over the last year or two.  I always glaze them in white (they used to always be matte, and now they are sometimes matte, and sometimes shiny).  Although I make several different sizes and variations, depending on the numbeer of tubes involved, the general scale of them is the same.



 So I thought this was the perfect candidate to "play with" so to speak.

For my first attempt at playing with scale I decided to make a larger piece than normal.
That's an average sized mug next to it.

I'll be doing a couple of larger outdoor shows this year, and I figured it would be nice to have a large piece that people can see from farther away that would draw them into my tent to see what it is.
At least that's my plan.  I will either have some bare dogwood branches in it, or pussy willows, or whatever I can find depending on the time of year.
This baby took about a bag and a half of clay, so I decided that maybe I should experiment in the other direction for a little while...

so I went smaller than normal.
 Unglazed, and next to a "smallish" mug.

 Very small (compared to my usual ones), very fiddly to make.

I do quite like them - alot - but here's the thing...these have A LOT of tubes for thier size.  AND they take a little longer to make than the normal size tube vases (per tube) but they are really small in comparison.  Pricing will be an issue.  

So, what did I learn from this experiment?  Maybe, if I want to play with scale, I should pick something that doesn't have a lot of components.  Maybe just a bowl, or something like that.  I can make a teeny bowl...I'm still trying to make bigger and bigger bowls.   This won't be the last experiment.

What have you been experimenting with lately?

Linking up with:
Keep Calm Craft On over at Frontier Dreams - there is still time to hop on over to this link to get the discount code for 15% off everything (except shipping) in my etsy shop.

6 comments:

  1. What awesome vases! So unique!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting idea...I'm excited to mull over how this might translate to writing (uh, write a novel?). And your vases are amazing--at all scales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting idea...I'm excited to mull over how this might translate to writing (uh, write a novel?). And your vases are amazing--at all scales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that idea - they look great! But probably pretty fiddly to make, I'm guessing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pottery! When I was a child, at art class we did a lot of pottery, I always loved that! I kinda miss it acctually :-) I made my Christmas Tree ornaments out of clay a few years ago.
    Those tube vases are really gorgeous, but not so easy to make I think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great idea! They are very pretty, and I think wildflowers would look lovely in them come summer time.

    ReplyDelete